Friday, January 6, 2017

Childhood Heartbreak

January 6th, 2017.

I have these little things that happened when I was little that I remember as my childhood heartbreaks. They're these little moments from when I was young that I think of forlornly. I often remember this childhood heartbreak from when I was little, I couldn't have been much younger than five when it happened.

My family and I were at Cracker Barrel, and my mom always got fried apples- or was it my dad? Either way, there were always fried apples on the table and I loved them. I'd always ask if I could have one from my mom and dad or lick the bowl when they were done, because I loved the sweet, sugary sauce (my older sister got so embarrassed whenever I licked the bowl). The time I had gone before then, I told myself that I was going to ask for my own bowl of fried apples, and I would've if I hadn't have forgotten.

So we ordered and got our food. I always got the same thing; Fried shrimp and a hushpuppy on the side. I kinda want some, now that I think about it. Anyway, it was only when the waitress gave my mom her fried apples that I remembered that I wanted to order my own. I was sad, of course. I did what I always did and I asked my mom if I could have one. She gave me one, I never got more than one, but I was still upset. I thought I was going to have to wait until next time to get more.

You know how the waiter or waitress comes by every once in a while saying something along the lines of, "How are you? Anything else you want?" Well, the waitress came by as we were finishing our food and I thought that that was my chance! I could get my fried apples! I straight up looked at the lady with what I felt like was a determined expression (But still polite) and said, "I want apples."
She smiled at me as if I were so cute, which I was, by the way, and I thought I was going to get fried apples. I was feeling accomplished and so happy, I probably had this goofy grin on my face. But I didn't care if I looked silly, I was finally going to get more. And I was around five, so of course I didn't care if I looked silly. I never did.

So I waited for my apples to come, but it seemed like they were taking a while to make them. And I waited some more as my mom finished her food (she's the slow eater of the family), but it never came. I thought they were just being a bunch of slow pokes! But daddy got up to leave and I realized that I wasn't going to get any fried apples. I'm pretty sure I said something like, "But daddy, my apples." I can't remember how he responded, but I was heartbroken. I never got my fried apples, and the five year old+ in me still gets a bit upset whenever I think about it.

You know, I kinda want some fried apples right now.

A little upside to the story is that I never forgot to ask for fried apples again after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment